domingo, 9 de setembro de 2007

Literatura Simples para aumentar o vocabulário em Inglês/ Easy books to improve your vocabulary in English

Quem está em Londres e quer melhorar o inglês precisa ter livros, jornais e revistas como melhores amigos. Mesmo com a grana curta isso, lá isso é facílimo. Revistas e jornais são distribuídos de graça nas estações de metrô. Já os livros, basta se associar a uma biblioteca de bairro. Então, pra quem tá no exterior e quer dicas de livros com palavras usadas no dia-a-dia, algo para aumentar o o vocabulário, aí vão algumas dicas. Não adianta esperar grande literatura, mas também não é nada que seja chato de ler/ If you are living in London you must have papers, magazines and books as your best friends. Even without money, you can have it easy because, in London, you will find lots of free magazines and newspapers at the tube stations. You can also have a free Library card. So, I made a list of "easy books" to improve your English vocabulary. Please, don't wait for fantastic literature, but just for nice stories.
BOOKS:


- P.S:I Love You - Cecelia Ahern
Review: "Devoted to her husband, Gerry, Holly has always depended on his practical advice and lists to keep her going and is lost when she loses him to brain cancer, until a package arrives containing ten envelopes filled with practical and impractical advice for carrying on her life without her beloved husband at her side. A first novel. 250,000 first printing." Nice story. It's good because we can learn about some British habtis.

- About a Boy - Nick Hornby
Review: Will Freeman is independently wealthy, scurrilous rouge who does nothing with his life, and loves it. He sees himself as an island, and believes if he cares about no one, then the better off he is. But your "perfect life" totaly change when he meet a boy called Marcus and his suicidal mother.
This book was inspiration for the movie About a Boy - starring Hug Grant (in Portuguese: Um Grande Garoto).

- Bridget Jones' Diary: WELL, IT'S BRIDGET!!!!!!!!! She is the same in Portuguese or in English, but I'd see rather the movie.

2 comentários:

Mark disse...

1. magazines and bookS as your best friends.
2. tubE stations.
3. This book was THE inspiration FOR / BEHIND the movie About a Boy
4. but I'd SEE / WATCH rather the movie.

I once decided to read Bridget Jones. I managed to last 100 pages before I got fed up of her and threw the book away. Sorry. Better than Star Wars or Lord of the Rings though...I gave up on each film within 15 minutes...

yuri disse...

It is a good fun to read Mark's a bit severe comment!! I'm now reading a book "Girl With A Pearl Earring" witten by Tracy Chevalierm. As far as I can rembmer, the auther is an British woman and a Londoner as well. I bought the book in London, but I didn't open even the 1sta page, because reading magazines or free papes were much more interesting to me at that time. After coming back to Japan, however, I happened to see the film of this title on TV. Also, one of my favorite British actor, Colin Firth, was in it! It was very beautifully filmed and picturesque as if watching some paingings in a gallery.
Then I started to read the book. Now I found a watching film helps me very much to understand the context. Even a bit complex description of the characters' feeling, by which I often gave up following the story, can reach me. To be honest, I have never finished a book especially a novel in English. This time, I'm pretty sure that I will come to the end soon. Ana, I'm looking forwar to your recommendations with thinking to try some of them. Yuri